Re: light bulbs FACTORY RALLY CARS

To: jmwagner <jmwagner@greenheart.com>
Subject: Re: light bulbs FACTORY RALLY CARS
From: "Philip E. Barnes" <peb3@cornell.edu>
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 1998 07:52:33 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
At 10:25 PM -0700 8/6/98, jmwagner wrote:
>I've often wondered...
>The old factory rally cars, from TR 2 through 4A... always have tons of Lucas
>auxillary lighting...  i.e. two fog lamps, a spotlight in the middle of
>the grill,
>a spotlight on top of the surrey hardtop, and back-up lamps...
>I'm imagining the car racing on a wet evening.... all lights on, wiper on,
>power
>sliding through the mountains....
>HOW ON EARTH did the stock generator handle all that wattage?

"A fair question and one that's been much on my mind of late..."
What we used to do is have an auto electrics shop build us a heavy-duty
unit with larger gage wires and epoxy the whole mess to handle the heat
generated by all the lights, as well as the under-hood temp. We also used
an undersize pulley so it didn't run as fast. During competition you rarely
use all the lights simultaneously. Nowadays we get an ambulance alternator
(150 amps!!) and put that in place.

Someday I'll get a TR3 or 4 and build a replica.

Phil Barnes (peb3@cornell.edu)
'71 TR6  CC61193L (21 year owner)

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.