Re: Spit safety question...

To: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Subject: Re: Spit safety question...
From: Patrick Barber <sailnbail@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Mon, 03 Aug 1998 22:22:04 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Andrew Mace wrote:

> On Sun, 2 Aug 1998, Patrick Barber wrote:
>
> > I am glad to see that this thread has been started.  Last Wednesday
> > 7/29, I totaled out my 74 Spit in an crash at a local intersection (only
> > 5 days since I was at VTR in Hudson).
>
> So sorry to hear that. Did we meet in Hudson? Which car was yours?
> (Sorry, I met so many people; no offense if I forgot, as I tend to be
> lousy with names!)
>
> >  Both vehicles involved in the
> > crash were in pretty bad shape.  The Frame and Bonnet  on the Spit were
> > completely destroyed.  I believe that if the accident involved a heaver,
> > stiffer framed vehicle (such as my 98 F150) the Other vehicle would most
> > certainly have sustained much greater damage.  As it turns out, nobody
> > was injured in the slightest way. I will greatly sacrifice any
> > automobile for the safety and security of me or my passengers.
>
> Thanks for that last sentence in particular. To me, that's all that
> matters. As for the Spit, I truly believe that these were
> (un?)intentionally designed to fold up in the front to some degree to
> help absorb some impact. As I'd previously noted publicly, I've seen
> Spits with serious front and/or rear damage, with passenger compartment
> remaining quite intact.
>
> Just how severe (speed) was the crash? Meanwhile, certainly I'm glad
> you're ok. Would you buy another Spit, based on this experience? Sounds
> as if you would!
>
> --Andy
>
> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
> * Andrew Mace, President and                *
> *   10/Herald/Vitesse (Sports 6) Consultant *
> * Vintage Triumph Register                  *
> * amace@unix2.nysed.gov                     *
> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Andy,
We didn't formally meet.  I did see you riding around on the bicycle
several times.  You will see me in the Panoramic Photo however.  I have
the Black Spit in the second row on the Left hand side next to the
green  Vitesse.

WRT the crash, I was traveling the speed limit of 40 MPH when the car
turned in fron of me. I figure I was able to get the speed down to about
15 - 20 MPH at impact.  I was not hurt. No scratches, no brusies,
nothing.  I was sick for 3 days afterward.  I don't have collision
insurance on the car as my insurance co. does not provide collision on
vehicles over 20 Years old without an appraisal.  Since the car was
still in pieces (I bought it as a "Basket Case") when I insured it, I
did not have it appraised.  It looks like I am out about $700 to $2000.
It depends on where I can find a frame, Bonnet, bumper, etc., etc.,
etc.  I did find a MkIII frame for $50 with 1500 bonnet attachment
brackets, but I am going to hold off on that until perhaps I can find
another vehicle to rebuild.  I have not yet decided if it would be best
to part out this car and rebuild another or part out another car and
rebuild this one.  I am going to take a look at it tomorrow and take
pictures.  Perhaps I can get them on the web somewhere.  I'll let people
know.

Take Care!!!
--
Patrick Barber