Re: More show stuff

To: peb3@cornell.edu
Subject: Re: More show stuff
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 03 Aug 1998 16:28:23 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Hi,

With regards to show cars etc.

I was at a local-ish show in Manchester, VT a few years ago - the Hildene
event. At any rate, the tenor of the show is pre-war and post-war. As such,
I was put in the British 6 cylinder class.

As in Jags and everything else except MGBs and Bugeyes etc. and TR3's and
4's, of course.

Well, that was the proverbial straw. I have not voted in a car show since
and I've shown up at some shows and parked where I was not supposed to be
just to see what happens. Or I park in modified - which is a crock-o-$#!^ -
the last time I was in one of those my car didn't trophy - the guy next to
me entered modified because he had a non-stock _color_. Nevermind that the
car is completely bine-stock. Kool.

The process (of picking cars in participant's choice) is too subjective for
me and too arbitrary. I'll stick to quantifiable measurements of car/driver.

So I basically skip the cars shows... the funny thing is, at that point
(after Hildene) I started to drive my car... alot. I've been averaging
something like 9000 miles per year since then and I also started
autocrossing a lot. It's much more fun (for me) to beat out VW's and Hondas
(well, some of the time) in a _driving_ event than it is to watch everyone
polish thier cars for a car show.

Oh well.

As for the Jags - well, I've been invited back to the local Jag club for a
"slalom", but for some reason the venue is usually illegible or the date is
crossed out... I wonder why that is? Must be something to do with my
gettting FTD at the last one I went to... NAH.

;-)

rml
Bob Lang
TR6's