Preserving Good Information

Subject: Preserving Good Information
From: Jack McCarrick <jmccarr@ibm.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 1998 08:32:13 -0400
In the short time I've been following this list I've noticed several
instances where the comment is that  "we discussed that last year".
(Darn, I missed it)  I've also seen a lot of very useful information
that has a higher value to those of us that are on our first car, than
those of you that grew up under the hood. (The recent oil contamination
piece being an example.)

The spirit of this whole group is preservation of the information and
support for the Triumph line.

It is obvious that some of you take time to move some of this to the VTR
pages.  It is my impression that this list and VTR are a cornerstone and
key to making it easy for Triumphs to stay viable in the future.  I
think we all like to see them on the road.

(Disclaimer: I have not yet joined VTR and believe VTR Web page content
must be decided by it's paying members).

Re-usable information should be collected somewhere so that any
surviving Triumph has the greatest possibility of getting proper care.
The difficulty, current and future, owners have in finding how to do the
right thing directly affects the survival rate of any car.  This can
relate to anything from deciphering Castrol Hypoy to rust prevention.
We all have examples of prior owners best guess. The more cars that
survive,  the longer the parts vendors stick with us.  (Those of you in
it as a collectable investment I suspect would like to see the
population shrink.)

Personally I believe increasing the collection at VTR makes sense,
although "the trust" would be another excellent place for an open
repository.  Where it should be, what should be there, and certainly how
it gets there, are all potential issues for discussion.  In addition to
helping each other, should one of the active goals of this list be to
aggressively  cause the accumulation of public knowledge needed to keep
any Triumph viable at a central re-usable point?   Assume everyone is a
rookie!

Footnote: I have to admit I'm somewhat jealous of the some of the glitzy
content on the Big Healey's page.  I would like to see the Triumph crowd
set a Standard that other car groups would try to match or envy.