Preserving Good Information

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Preserving Good Information
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 21:26:05 +0100
Jack McCarrick's input to the list was one of the most lucid and
objectively presented observations I have read on any motoring theme for a
long time.
I'd like to add a further dimension.
In the six months or so that I've been reading and occasionally
contributing to this list, it's clear the vast majority of input is sports
car biased. As much of it is Canada/US based, Jack's proposal, sound as it
is, only goes part of the way.
In my view, a Triumph 'how to' site equally weighted to ALL cars - not
just towards Sports Cars, is probably the way to go.
At least, for my part, that's the way John Mac would like to see it go.
Also, at the risk of being flamed and contrary to
the perceived opinion of many on this list, the Triumph World does not
epicentre just on Spitfires, GT6's and TR's.
Gaydon was more than ample proof of that.
I think it's also more important to remember that when we talk TRIUMPH, we
also talk STANDARD and I'd like to see a 'how to' site extending back to
the return to post war production at Canley.
This is simply because from that point onwards, the two names were totally
intertwined. In this regard, such a site could also give equal weighting to
Herald Vitesse 1300 1500 (front and rear wheel drive versions) 'Dolly' 2000
2500 2.5PI Stag Roadster Renown Mayflower Vanguard Eight Ten Sportsman
Toledo? Presently, all of these are covered by clubs. But what if some of
the smaller clubs one day decide the effort isn't worth the financial
return and decide to put up the shutters for all time?
What happens to all the info gathered over the years which someone MIGHT
want to put into a book but never gets round to doing?
In principle, I'm prepared to at least entertain the idea of setting up a
simple website and running it for the Standard AND Triumph global
communities without loyalties to any particular model.
In deference to the excellent work being done by VTR in maintaining their
own site - and to Mark Bradakis in maintaining this list, a site of the
type broadly outlined by Jack might also serve to bring things back
together rather than splitting up into tiny pieces of model confetti. This
is clearly what is happening, and I for one feel this to be a most
retrograde step as many problems can carry over from model to unlike model.
What is the general view?

John Macartney

"Life at Triumph" in print - unique pictures and lots more. See info at
http://www.toolbox.ndirect.co.uk/triumphbook
ORDER LINE STAYS OPEN UNTIL SEPTEMBER 30, 1998.
Order points are with:
The Author:                                       jonmac@ndirect.co.uk
British Columbia Triumph Registry:     michael_bayrock@bctransit.com
Triumph 2000 2500 2.5PI Register:      t2000@compuserve.com
Triumph Sports Six Club:                   bernard@tssc-hq.demon.co.uk
Vintage Triumph Register:                  HHUMM53@aol.com
The book will NOT be available from shops - only from the Author and Agents

http://www.toolbox.ndirect.co.uk/plates
Give your Triumph "The Coventry Look"