Re: Stuck lug nuts.

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Stuck lug nuts.
From: Allen Nugent <A.Nugent@unsw.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 10:51:49 +1000 (EST)
Roger,

I once freed a very-stuck lug nut from my TR7; the experience may be worth
sharing.

The steel insert in the (non-stock) mag had fallen out, so only about 1/2 of
the hex region of the nut protruded above the face of the wheel. I had
rounded the corners off the nut, and broken a socket.

I abandoned an attempt to split the nut with a chisel when I got down to the
surface of the mag, with no hint of ultimate success.

I finally put some strips of sheet metal into the slot I had cut in the nut
(in the previous step), hammered a Metrinch socket over the nut (with no
corners left on the nut, it had to be grabbed by the flats), applied the
_big_ wrench, and out it came.

Allen Nugent
Graduate School of Biomedical Engineering
University of New South Wales
Sydney  2052  Australia