Re: RE:More Slave Cylinder

To: "Ed Woods" <fogbros@nb.net>, "INTERNET:triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: RE:More Slave Cylinder
From: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 18:04:43 -0400
Message text written by "Ed Woods"
>Isn't the release bearing actually supposed to be riding on
>the fingers of the clutch cover on diaphragm clutch TR's? Zero clearance?
>The earlier cars required running clearance between the bearing and
release
>fingers on the clutch cover; hence the spring and the adjustable length
>clutch rod. The spring always returned the slave cylinder piston fully
into
>its bore and the rod allowed a bit of free play to be set into the system
>make sure that the release bearing was not riding on the clutch cover.<

Ed, I think you are absolutely right.  The newer cylinders are sort
of "self-adjusting, and the use of a return spring would probably
interfere.

I do not remember the complaint that was originally voiced, but I think
it was about noise from the trans with the clutch pedal released.  I
guess the T.O. bearing is making noise, and when there is more
pressure on it, the races make less noise (for now).  Maybe it is time
for a new bearing....

-Tony