Re: RE:More Slave Cylinder

To: "Tony Rhodes" <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Subject: Re: RE:More Slave Cylinder
From: "Ed Woods" <fogbros@nb.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 21:33:49 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
If you add the return spring and use the non adjustable operating rod, the
clearance between the throwout bearing, a.k.a release bearing, and the
clutch will be so great that the clutch, already marginal, will probably not
operate at all.  Isn't the release bearing actually supposed to be riding on
the fingers of the clutch cover on diaphragm clutch TR's? Zero clearance?
The earlier cars required running clearance between the bearing and release
fingers on the clutch cover; hence the spring and the adjustable length
clutch rod. The spring always returned the slave cylinder piston fully into
its bore and the rod allowed a bit of free play to be set into the system to
make sure that the release bearing was not riding on the clutch cover.

Ed Woods