More od solenoid switching stuff-

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: More od solenoid switching stuff-
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 1998 05:55:22 -0700
Update on the Spitfire marina od box-
I went and checked the single rail (marina) box to see what the solenoid
would do during three/four shifts on that box (internal actuation) and sure
enough, it also stays engaged while in that gate.  While the switch didn't
work, I removed it to observe the actuation and when you shift into the 3-4
gate a long protrusion (a cam on the shift rod) pushes the switch button in
the entire 3-4 gate position.  It would appear that the disengagement
between 3 and 4 shifts would be only on the TR series - too bad as it would
seem a better proposition to have it stay engage while in the 3-4 gate.
You would certainly lengthen the life (at least of the switch and the relay
and possibly the solenoid) by at least double by halving the amount of
actuation/de-actuation cycles!  Although there's not really anything to
wear out in a solenoid I have herd stories of them failing and this may be
due in part to cycling fatigue of the connections to the wire of the coil
inside the solenoid itself.  This and the heat of the unit while in
operation, so reducing the cycling times surely can't hurt!

72 V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire