Re: tr6 gearbox/clutch q's

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: tr6 gearbox/clutch q's
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 1998 05:57:02 -0700
>To support Dave, my tranny (TR6) is out so I removed the switch and
>watched the action of the rod. Works as Dave said however I don't
>remember my previous triumph dropping out as I shifted.
>Andy
Well guys and gals this got me thinking, so I went out to the old GT6, with
the three rail, J (yeah I know it's supposed to be a 'D' but I put it in)
type overdrive transmission and checked.  Sure enough the actuation is when
you slide it over to the 3-4 position.  Engages in that slot regardless of
which gear, or between gears, it's always engaged when in that gate.
disengages when you return to neutral or 1-2 gate.  So it confirms my
suspicion, but apparently only with Spitfires/GT6's and possibly Heralds
and Vitesses.  Apparently the TR series doesn't use the same type of
switching system (maybe it should have?) I guess I should stick with what I
know :-}.  At any rate it might be possible to, when you have it
accessible, redo the actuation so that the switch is always engaged when in
the 3-4 gate position?  Just a thought-

72 V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire