Re: Spit "clunk"

To: <HMENTZEN@aol.com>, <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Spit "clunk"
From: "Lawrence R Zink" <zink@pdq.net>
Date: Sun, 31 May 1998 22:50:21 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
Sorry to say Hans, but no it should not have any excess free play in the
shaft.  Check the front U-joint.  Yes, your clunk could be coming from a
broken shock or from a worn out bush sleeve and bolt.  Ckeck every thing
very carefully,  Look for excess wear on the trailing arm bushings where the
connect to the frame and the rear axle.  Check to see if the shock mounting
bolts are tight and also check the two bolts in the axle bearing housing for
play.  It's far better to be thorough than sorry.  Also check your
differential mounts for excess play and wear. And did you check the half
shaft u-joints?

Larry Zink
1964 Spitfire4 Mk1
Houston, Texas