Re: Spit "clunk"

To: HMENTZEN@aol.com
Subject: Re: Spit "clunk"
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Sat, 30 May 1998 19:53:24 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
HMENTZEN@aol.com wrote:

> This weekend I changed the u-joint on the back of the prop shaft hoping that
> it would cure my "clunking " when I shift. It didn't. I have a question
> regarding the prop shaft. If I grab the shaft and turn it I have some free
> play (  about a half inch ) before it makes contact. Is this normal?

That amount of play is typical of Spit rear-ends.  So it likely isn't
coming from the Driveshaft.

> How can I tell if the cv joint on the front of the shaft is ok? Could the
>noise be
> suspension related? I did notice a sound when I lowered the car. I was able
> the reproduce it at about the same spot  as I watched the shock. Could it be
> in the shock or shock mount (less than 10k on shocks) or maybe where the leaf
> spring attaches? All suggestions  greatly appreciated. Last evening was great
> for riding with the top down in the Connecticut Valley   : )

Hans,
Jack up the rear of the car and put it on Jack Stands.  Vigorously shake
the wheels front-to-back to check for play in: 1. Trunnion bushings, 2.
radius rods and attaching hardware and 3. wear in the vertical links.
These are the points where the clunk is likely to come from.  If one of
these items is the cause, you will want to cure it immediately because
those things could let go at an opportune moment that will ruin your
whole day.

Regards,
Joe Curry

--