Spit "clunk"

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Spit "clunk"
From: HMENTZEN@aol.com
Date: Sun, 31 May 1998 17:53:24 EDT
This weekend I changed the u-joint on the back of the prop shaft hoping that
it would cure my "clunking " when I shift. It didn't. I have a question
regarding the prop shaft. If I grab the shaft and turn it I have some free
play (  about a half inch ) before it makes contact. Is this normal?  How can
I tell if the cv joint on the front of the shaft is ok? Could the noise be
suspension related? I did notice a sound when I lowered the car. I was able
the reproduce it at about the same spot  as I watched the shock. Could it be
in the shock or shock mount (less than 10k on shocks) or maybe where the leaf
spring attaches? All suggestions  greatly appreciated. Last evening was great
for riding with the top down in the Connecticut Valley   : )
Hans Mentzen
79 Spit