TR250 Commission Number fiasco

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR250 Commission Number fiasco
From: Henry Frye <thefryes@iconn.net>
Date: Fri, 29 May 1998 10:10:11 -0400
Listers,

My newest TR250 is now home, yes, it is that $1000 one posted by George
Moore. (Thanks George!)

For the record, the body is very good, it will need sills and work in the
battery box area, but otherwise, the tub is very solid. That is the good
news...

The frame is swiss cheese. Major hack job at repairing the trailing arm
links, and the guy who repaired it actually bent a piece of steel the shape
of the cruciform and welded it under the original. I can't imagine what, if
anything, is under that repair. Luckily, I have an excellent frame sitting
on the shop floor, waiting patiently.

Anyway, I am wondering how to approach the Connecticut Department of Motor
Vehicles with this problem. The DPO owned the car for at least 12 years,
probably many more. He had it registered using the body tag number, NOT the
commission number! We are both CT residents, and the car has not been
registered in 10 years. So I sort of doubt the car is still on the books at
the DMV. Since the car wa manufactured before 1970, there is no Certificate
of Title.

I will get a Build Certificate from BMIHT, but, I can just picture the look
on the DMV employee's face when I tell them the VIN number on this
registration certificate is the wrong number.

Any ideas?

BTW, as if anybody cares, I will be away from email, but still subscribed
to the list for a trip to England. Hope to see you all in Gaydon on Sunday.
I will be taking my digital camera and lots of floppy disks. I hope to get
around to updating my website with some nice TR pictures from the
celebration. I have a space reserved for the list's most decorated yellow
Spit from the homeland!

You listening, Rich?   ;-)
 Henry Frye - thefryes@iconn.net - Connecticut, USA
 TR3B   TCF1927 L       Driver
 TR250  CD690 L         Soon to be Driver
 TR250  CD8096 L        Someday Driver
 TR250  CD1074 L        Some Brave Soul Other Than Me
                       Will Make This A Driver!