TR6 Fumes

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR6 Fumes
From: sjc1@ptd.net (Steve Connolley)
Date: Thu, 28 May 1998 08:11:46 -0600 (MDT)
Howdy, Folks,

I've just found (earlier in the Spring) and purchased a beautiful '76 TR6
(photos are posted at http://www.connolley.com/toy.html).  It's the car I've
dreamed about owning for the past 20 or so years.  I had a '69 Spitfire when
I was in college but ran out of money to keep it on the road and had to sell
it (my then-girlfriend threatened to plant flowers in it if I didn't move it
off her lawn...).

The TR6 has its share of little problems and things to be
repaired/replaced/tightened, etc... However, one thing has me puzzled.  The
car always smells like either gasoline or exhaust fumes.  All the time. Top
up or top down.  My wife can tell which car I've been driving just by
smelling my clothes. (Other women, I've found, also have this "amazing"
ability.  It's just a little unnerving, though, to have her "sniff" me and
accurately tell me what I've been up to...)

I've checked the exhaust system and it doesn't seem to be leaking.  I've
checked the carbs, gas tank, and fuel lines and there don't seem to be any
obvious leaks.

Do cars like this have a characteristic smell to them, or do I have a
problem?  Any thoughts would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Steve Connolley
sjc1@prolog.net