Re: TR6 Fumes

To: sjc1@ptd.net (Steve Connolley)
Subject: Re: TR6 Fumes
From: peb3@cornell.edu (Philip E. Barnes)
Date: Thu, 28 May 1998 10:59:21 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
 "... one thing has me puzzled.  The car always smells like either gasoline
or exhaust fumes.  All the time. Top up or top down.  I've checked the
exhaust system and it doesn't seem to be leaking.  I've checked the carbs,
gas tank, and fuel lines and there don't seem to be any obvious leaks.

"Do cars like this have a characteristic smell to them, or do I have a
problem?  Any thoughts would be appreciated.  Thanks."

My car always smells of gas after I top up the tank. The smell diminishes
after a while and I suspect one of the vapor recovery lines may have a leak
in it. Since the rebuild I also get a bit of exhaust odor. This may be from
the seal around the transmission tunnel, as I have inspected all the other
chassis/body plugs.

A characteristic smell? Oh, yes! There is something about the seat foams in
my car that have a nice warm smell about them. Since I replaced everything
else in the car, it has to be the seats. I love the smell. It is a very
comfortable, familiar smell. We had a discussion of this a few years back.
It is part of the charm of the car.

Phil Barnes (peb3@cornell.edu)
'71 TR6  CC61193L (21 year owner)

There is absolutely no substitute for a genuine lack of preparation.