Re: Installing TR6 Transmission

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, mbrinker@flash.net
Subject: Re: Installing TR6 Transmission
From: John Duhart <duhart@symbol.com>
Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 08:03:35 -0400

>>> "The Brinkers" <mbrinker@flash.net> 05/26 9:29 PM >>>
>
>What is the secret?  I have replaced my clutch and used the alignment tool.
>Now as I am refitting my Transmission, I can not get it in!  I had it
>aligned correctly and cot the two mating surfaces (the bell housing and the
>engine) only 2 inches apart but I could not get them any closer.  I have
>raised the motor slightly upward toward the rear to help but still no luck.
>Could someone who has been through this make some suggestions.  I would very
>much appreciate it.
>
>Mike - Trying to get on the road again  74 TR6

Hey Mike,

 It sounds like you have the engine still in the car, is this correct?  I just
put an eng and tranny together for a TR6 but I had both out of the car, so it
may have been a bit easier.  Her is what I would check.

1) The pilot bush, the one that fit over the tranny main shaft and goes into
the crank.  Where is it?  Is it in the crack?  Does it fit over the tranny main
shaft

2) The tranny should be in gear when you install it.  Then you can rotate the
flang at the rear of the tranny, which will cause the main shaft to rotate,
while you are trying to get the eng and tranny to mate.

Those last two inches are the hard part, but once it catches to eng and tranny
will just slide together.  I found repeating "come-on baby" over and over again
helps in these situations.  Keep trying, you will get it done.

Later,
JHD IV