Re: Installing TR6 Transmission

To: The Brinkers <mbrinker@flash.net>
Subject: Re: Installing TR6 Transmission
From: Dana & Jane Du Fresne <pumacon@erols.com>
Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 11:48:24 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
The Brinkers wrote:

> What is the secret?  I have replaced my clutch and used the alignment tool.
> Now as I am refitting my Transmission, I can not get it in!  I had it
> aligned correctly and cot the two mating surfaces (the bell housing and the
> engine) only 2 inches apart but I could not get them any closer.  I have
> raised the motor slightly upward toward the rear to help but still no luck.
> Could someone who has been through this make some suggestions.  I would very
> much appreciate it.
>
> Mike - Trying to get on the road again  74 TR6

Mike, went thru the same difficulty last night.  This is what I did...

There are 3 mounting holes (bell housing to engine) that use studs, not
bolts.  Insert the studs in the proper holes (less washer and nuts) to
help align the bell housing while pushing it in.  Page 164 of TRF cat.
shows the studs but not the locations so you'll have to find them. I
also lifted the rear of the engine, it seemed to help.

If you can't get the tranny spline to line up with the clutch plate, put
the tranny in gear, and have someone turn the rear flange (which will
turn the front input shaft spline) while you push the tranny in.  Once
the rear flange locks up, your aligned in the clutch plate.

As far as the final seating....  tranny input shaft into pilot bushing,
good luck.  I closed the gap by assembling and carefully tighting the
nuts and bolts (engine to bell housing) keeping the gap equal as much as
possible all around during the bolt down. It finally came together, but
I always feel like I've done some damage by bringing it together this
way.  Anyone one the list have a better method??????   we could use it!

Good Luck
Dana '72 TR6