Re: TR3A Overdrive Hanging Up

To: bsmith@inetnow.net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR3A Overdrive Hanging Up
From: cloughbt@batman.flight.wpafb.af.mil (Bruce T. Clough)
Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 12:38:43 -0400
Bill,

My guess is that the solenoid has become gunked up on the inside.  Over the
years crap can build up in the solenoid barrel and the plunger that will cause
it to stick once the solenoid heats up and expands from engine heat (and a bit
of it's own heat from the hold-in current).  I had this problem with a TR3B and
a good cleaning solved the problem.

As far as oils, who knows.  This has been debated on the list more times than
Lizz Taylor had husbands. Hypoid lube should be avoided, barring that, use what
works.  I've used straight 80wt, 50wt, and 30wt.  In the end I stuck with 50wt
since it resulted in quick operation and had a weight closer to that which
Triumph recommended.  30wt just seemed a bit thin for me, and 80wt resulted in
slower activations.

Good luck,

Bruce Clough