TR3A Overdrive Hanging Up

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: TR3A Overdrive Hanging Up
From: "Brent Smith" <bsmith@inetnow.net>
Date: Sun, 24 May 1998 21:06:42 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
The overdrive in my '60 TR3A is starting to hang up occasionally.  It seems
that when I have the overdrive engaged for more than about half an hour on
the highway, and then I flip the OD switch off, it stays engaged even when
the solenoid drops out.  Otherwise, it appears to be working fine as usual.
By the way, I've been using a NAPA 90 wt straight gear oil (GL1) in the
transmission / overdrive for years.  I checked the solenoid travel using a
drill bit a year ago when I had the tunnel off--it was fine then.  Anyone
have any idea of the problem or a cure?  Thanks.

Brent Smith
Atlanta, GA

1960 TR3A
1987 XJ6 SIII