Re: TR4 hub problem

To: wmaxj@cache.net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR4 hub problem
From: "R. John Lye" <rjl6n@virginia.edu>
Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 08:23:59
Hi Bill,
     You asked:

> The studs are striped on the rear hub of my 64 TR4. I can't get the
>  studs out of the hub. I have also tried to pull the hub with a gear
>  puller. No luck. Do you have any suggestions.

Be very careful using a generic hub puller on those hubs - they
need proper supoport while removing or you can bend the hub making
it a big paperweight.  You'll need to either find someone with
the proper "Churchill" hub puller to help you or find a machine
shop with a huge hydraulic press and some skilled employees who
can mount the hub and axle in the press appropriately.  It can
take as much as 25 tons of hydraulic force to get them off if
they've never been removed.  As to the studs, TR-4s used an
unusual stud that screwed in from the front, then had the back side
peened over to prevent them from unscrewing.  Once you get the
hubs off, you'll need to grind off the peened over part, then they
should unscrew from the front just fine.

good luck,

John Lye
rjl6n@Virginia.edu