Spitfire Distributor question.

To: triumphs <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>, spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Spitfire Distributor question.
From: gbowley <gbowley@snet.net>
Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 08:04:02 -0400
Hello all,
Hope everyone had a nice weekend!

I need some clarification on dynamic engine timing for my 75 Spifire.
This car is a little unusual in that it has the Lucas mechanical
(points) distributor. I believe the car originally had the electronic
Lucas distributor due to the fact that the drive resistor is still
bolted to the air pump check valve bracket.

My question is, according to the Hanes shop manual, the dynamic timing
should be set to 2 degrees ATDC with the vacuum line connected to the
distributor, (USA models). However later on in the manual, it says the
vacuum line must be disconnected and plugged for a points-type
distributor. I guess my question is what should I set the dynamic timing
to for this car due to the fact is has a points-type distributor
retrofitted to it.
BTW, the car has been running at 10 degrees BTDC for the past year,
(this is with the vacuum line connected.) I tried setting the
distributor to the 2 degrees ATDC this weekend, but the car lacked its
normal power :-), (if you can call it that.)
Any suggestions, or does anybody have a different shop manual that they
could compare?

--
Glenn E. Bowley, ABOC
Mechanical Designer/