Re. Waxoyl

To: <Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re. Waxoyl
From: "David Hill" <David_J_Hill@email.msn.com>
Date: Mon, 25 May 1998 20:36:03 +0100
Hello, Malcolm,

Waxoyl is a yellowish-brown substance which looks a bit like half-melted
candle wax.

Its consistency is about the same as congealed semolina pudding but it can
be altered. Stand the tin in hot water for a while and the consistency goes
to that of fully melted candle wax-like runny.

I apply it using a Schutz gun with a flexible plastic tube for a
nozzle-about 12" long x 3/8" internal diameter. Used at 50 psi, this will
sling warm waxoyl about 15 feet-good enough for box sections, etc.

Waxoyl never really dries and it creeps into seams, etc., successfully. On
the downside, it makes the car smelly for a long time after application.
Whilst the stuff is good at holding rust back, it will fall off established,
flaky rust.

They also produce a black waxoyl, which is marginally thicker and intended
for underbody use. However, this stuff makes working on the car very messy.
I prefer to use Valovoline Tectyl underneath. This can be hard to get,
though I understand Dinitrol make a similar product.

Here in the UK, Waxoyl costs around £13 to £17 for 5 litres.

Hope this helps, Dave Hill