Re: Re. Waxoyl

To: David Hill <David_J_Hill@email.msn.com>
Subject: Re: Re. Waxoyl
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 16:00:13 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Mon, 25 May 1998, David Hill wrote:

> Waxoyl is a yellowish-brown substance which looks a bit like half-melted
> candle wax.

Sounds like a major ingredient is carnauba wax.

> I apply it using a Schutz gun with a flexible plastic tube for a
> nozzle-about 12" long x 3/8" internal diameter. Used at 50 psi, this will
> sling warm waxoyl about 15 feet-good enough for box sections, etc.

Can you describe your version of a Schutz gun?  I have this sprayer thing,
and I *can* get a schutz gun for use with rubber / asphalt undercoat but
I'm not sure if it's the same deal.

> They also produce a black waxoyl, which is marginally thicker and intended
> for underbody use. However, this stuff makes working on the car very messy.
> I prefer to use Valovoline Tectyl underneath. This can be hard to get,
> though I understand Dinitrol make a similar product.

As before, we can get rubberized or asphalt undercoating.  It ranges in
price but is easy to get.  The most expensive stuff is paintable.  I can
get it in liquid or spray-bomb form.  I don't think it is compatible with
Waxoyl but it does a *fairly* good job of rust prevention.  The downside
one my car was that moisture crept in through the tops of the seams (where
the chrome beading is) and was held in by the massive lumps of undercoat
that had been slung up in the fenderwells.  I will most certainly do a
better job when the fenders go back on ;-)

-Malcolm