Spit start problem

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Spit start problem
From: tomomalley@hey.net (Tom O'Malley)
Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 22:41:49 GMT
Michael writes...

>         My name is Michael Stahl and I live in Barstow, Ca. I have a
>1965 Triumph Spitfire II, and the electrical is killing me.  I'll try to
>explain without confusing you and I.  When I turn the key to the on
>possition I am getting power to the wire that runs from the coil to the
>distributor, But when I turn the key over I loose power to that wire and the
>engine
>will just turn and turn without starting,,,,but,, as soon as I let the key go
>and regain that power to that wire the engine starts.  Am I lost or did

>I do something wrong or is it my somewhat electrical ignorance.  If you
>could E-Mail me a possible solution or give me a phone call I would realy
>> appreciate it.  Thank you for your time.
> Respectfully,
> Michael J. Stahl Jr.

Mike...chances are that your starter solenoid <mounted on the
bulkhead> has gone bad.  First check and see that you have a white
wire with a yellow stripe connected to it and that the connection
looks clean and tight.  After that, replace the solenoid.

Cheers!
Tom O'Malley in Southbridge Massachusetts
'74, '77 Spits