Re: Spit start problem

To: jay@rih.org, DANMAS@aol.com, mstahl@dvsdghse.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Spit start problem
From: tomomalley@hey.net (Tom O'Malley)
Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 23:57:11 GMT
Dan and Jay write...

>In a message dated 98-05-20 19:04:44 EDT, jay@rih.org writes:
>
>> Just thinking and not looking at a shematic here, but wouln't it be wise to
>>  check the ignition switch before replacing the solenoid? Current may flow
>>  the coil in the on position, but there may be a bad connection within the
>>  switch in the start position. Possibility?
>
>Mike, Tom, & Jay,
>
>Being "Spitfire challanged," as I only own TR6s, let me stub my toe on this
>one.  According to the info I have, the '65 MKII does not have a ballast
>resister, so the solenoid is not involved in getting power to the coil as it
>is when there is a ballast resister.  Normally, with a ballast resister, the
>solenoid bypasses the resister during cranking, and Tom's suggestion would be
>the first place to look with symptoms such as Mike described.  In this case,
>however, I think the ignition switch is the culprit.

Mea culpa guys...I'm using a print here that is showing an external
ballast for some earlier cars but it may not apply the the '65 models.

The absense <or presence> of the white/yellow stripe wire at the start
solenoid should be the tip off.

>To confirm this, put a test light or voltmeter on the green wires at the fuse
>box and crank the engine.  If the voltage goes away while the starter is
>spinning, then it is a pretty good bet that the ignition switch is bad.  On a
>'65, there is nothing between the igntion switch and the green wires except
>the fuse.  Actually, Mike has already done this test by checking the voltage
>at the white wire on the coil.  The same white wire feeds the fuse for the
>green wires.
>
>My vote is the ignition switch.
>
>Dan Masters,
>Alcoa, TN

Is it too late to change mine?  :-)

Cheers!
Tom O'Malley in Southbridge Massachusetts
'74, '77 Spits