Re: TR6 : Idle problem...

To: Jonathan Beaudoin <jbdoin@sympatico.ca>
Subject: Re: TR6 : Idle problem...
From: Allen Nugent <A.Nugent@unsw.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 10:53:47 +1000 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
At 06:56 19/05/98 -0400, you wrote:

>... Sometime, when I start it, at
>idle, the rev goes up and down, like 100 to 1500. When it come to 100
>the ignition light goes on and the rev rise up back. The cars does that
>for a while and after a while, the problem disappear. What could it be?
>The problem don't show up every time I start the car only sometimes.

Jonathan,

I think you mean "1000" not "100" rpm?

With this behaviour, I would suspect a problem in the vacuum advance/retard
unit or its connection to the inlet manifold. Next time it starts acting
funny, disconnect the vacuum line (plug it with your thumb so the inlet
manifold doesn't suck air), and see if the idle becomes steady. If it does,
look for:

        1. no lubrication on the vacuum linkage within the distributor
        2. a leak in the vacuum hose
        3. a leak in the vacuum fitting on the manifold
        4. a leak in the distributor vacuum unit (maybe a tear in the diaphragm)

Please let me know how you go.

Allen Nugent
Graduate School of Biomedical Engineering
University of New South Wales
Sydney  2052  Australia