TR250 Bonnet Stripes

To: Triumph list <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: TR250 Bonnet Stripes
From: Tomislav Marincic <74137.3420@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 17:39:30 -0400
        Triumphisti,

        I got my TR250 home from the body shop today, with its brand new
bonnet stripes beautifully recreated. I used the following materials:
        Moss #601-390   TR250 Stripe Instructions
FREE
        DuPont #B8416A  Centari Acrylic Enamel (1984 Ford Silver Metallic)
$14.80  1 pint (used about 2/3)
        DuPont #8022S   Mid-temp Reducer
$7.85   1 quart (used 1/2 or less)
        DuPont #1986S   Velvaseal Neutral Grey Acrylic Sealer
$19.50  1 quart (used 1/4 or less)

        The DuPont paint code was recommended to me by Andy Mace. The
DuPont tech rep I spoke with emphasized that the car's paint must be
sanded, then a thin coat of sealer used to prevent the darker body color
from discoloring the lighter silver in the stripe. I was painting over
DuPont Cronar #K8071J, Royal Blue (but not *exactly* the correct "code 56"
Royal Blue). The color looks about right, compared to photos of new TR250's
(the original paint was luminescent, this Centari is ordinary metallic
acrylic enamel).

        I removed the two fender lamps and gaskets myself, then took the
car to Mountjoy's Autoshop & Parts in Hyattsville, MD. They charged $150
for all prep work, masking, painting, taxes, etc. They did a superb job!
(Disclosure time: I *do* have a financial interest- Mountjoy's generously
supports out local club's newsletter, The Capital Triumph Register's
"Standard".)

        Bottom line, $194.05. Not to exaggerate, but the effect really is
stunning. The stripe emphasizes the complex curves at the front of the
TR250/TR4 bonnet that get lost in dark paint, and the whole impression is
of a wider and shorter front end. I love it, and the best part is people
will stop mistaking it for a TR5 and asking me if I know how to make that
ratty Lucas PI run correctly ;)

        For once, no disappointments. I plan to set up a stool and a cooler
full of Coors Light in my garage and listen to "Endless Summer" until the
gas fumes from my leaky front carb drive me back inside. Good luck to
anyone contemplating this work, thanks to those who offered advice.

        Best Regards,

        Tom Marincic
        CD3574L