Overheating continued

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Overheating continued
From: <rtriplett@bjservices.com> (Richard Triplett)
Date: Mon, 18 May 98 9:26:34 CDT
I didn't realize what a firestorm I was creating by suggesting the
thermostat should not be removed in order to solve overheating problems.
When I stated that water could flow too fast for proper heat transfer, I
was using data gathered from a hydraulics course I had recently completed.
In that course the instructor stated that flow rate through a heat
exchanger should be reduced in order for proper heat transfer to take place,
 but he was referring to a system where a reservoir was used for excess oil
storage.  In actual practice, in a closed loop circuit such as an engine
cooling system, flow could probably not exceed maximum efficiency, making
my statement a moot point. I still stand by my statement that removing a
good thermostat in order to try to fix an overheating problem is a bad idea,
 because, sure, it may appear to run cooler, but if there are fundamental
problems with the cooling system, it will still overheat when stressed, ie,
on long idle & hot days, etc.  Then you have the problem of cold days when
the engine does not reach optimum operating temperature, the heater doesn't
work, and fuel efficiency is reduced.  You're not doing your engine any
favors by running it below its most efficient temperature.  May I leave the
corner now?

Richard Triplett
62 TR3A
78 Spitfire