TR6 Front Suspension

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: TR6 Front Suspension
From: mrdr@buckeyeweb.com (The Romagni's)
Date: Mon, 18 May 1998 21:21:31 -0400
Fellow Listers,

The TR6 interior project is complete! The car looks fantastic. The
combination of new the dash and carpet really made a difference. Since the
interior restoration is complete, I've been out driving around quite a bit
and noticed that the car wanders. I checked out the front wheel bearings
and re-tightened them. It fixed some of the problem, but it still wanders
and makes some noises. I did some investigation but I have some questions
for you suspension gurus to help narrow in on the problems:

I grabbed the front tires at 6&12 o'clock and rocked it. I noticed the ball
joint moved and felt a klunking. How much movement is normal?

I can grab the tire rod ends and twist them 20 degrees or so. Is this
amount of movement normal? I can I tell if they are worn out?

I checked the steering rack and it moved side to side as I turned the
steering wheel (the road wheels were on the ground). The lag between moving
the steering wheel and the road wheels turning is minimal. Is movement in
the steering rack normal and if so how much?

How tough is replacment of the ball joints and tie rod ends? Seems like one
of those pronged tools would be good investment, yes?

Can I replace only the upper, inner bushings only (yeah I know I could)?
How will that affect ride and handling?

Thanks in advance!!

Marty Romagni
1974 TR6