RE: TR6 Front Suspension

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, "'mrdr@buckeyeweb.com'" <mrdr@buckeyeweb.com>
Subject: RE: TR6 Front Suspension
From: Gernot Vonhoegen <gernot.vonhoegen@stir.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 13:01:20 +0100

> I grabbed the front tires at 6&12 o'clock and rocked it. I noticed the
> ball
> joint moved and felt a klunking. How much movement is normal?
None.

> I can grab the tire rod ends and twist them 20 degrees or so. Is this
> amount of movement normal? I can I tell if they are worn out?

They always twist. Have someone sit inside the car and turn the steering
wheel slightly, watch thetrack rods and if there is movement without the
tyre moving they are knackered.
> I checked the steering rack and it moved side to side as I turned the
> steering wheel (the road wheels were on the ground). The lag between
> moving
> the steering wheel and the road wheels turning is minimal. Is movement
> in
> the steering rack normal and if so how much?

slight amount is normal, can be wear inthe column or track rod ends.
> How tough is replacment of the ball joints and tie rod ends? Seems
> like one
> of those pronged tools would be good investment, yes?
yeah, its never bad to have tools. Best thing is actually to have the
screw type one and the fork type as well.

> Can I replace only the upper, inner bushings only (yeah I know I
> could)?
> How will that affect ride and handling?

        What should that be good for?