Re: Spit still cranky!

To: toad@nlights.net
Subject: Re: Spit still cranky!
From: msecres@ibm.net
Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 20:05:11 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
toad@nlights.net wrote:

> Hello Again,
>
> I've taken the advice from folks on the list (thanks everyone), but my
> spit is still backfiring and idling rough.
>
> Again, I just installed a new elec. ignition system after the old one
> cooked, replaced coil, wires, plugs, cap and rotor.
>
> I've played around with the timing, and some of the backfiring was
> squelched (though its still not right). Driving her to work for the past
> two days revealed that the car is still devouring great quantities of
> gasoline. I went through half a tank driving not more than 80 miles or
> so.
>
> I haven't done much with the carb (Stromberg), because I'm not sure how
> to adjust the mixture (the book shows a special adjustment tool but
> there must be something more common...it looks like an allen wrench in
> the picture???)  Strange, but I can turn the idle adjustment all the way
> out and the idle won't drop below 900-1000 rpm, leading me to believe
> that an adjustment of the carb may be just what the doctor ordered. But
> again, I don't know.
>
> Anyone have some advice????
>
> Will
> Delivered from Northern Lights BBS, Everett, WA.

You need a special idle adjustment tool, which you insert through the
top of the dashpot to change the mixture.  Yours seems to be pretty rich
-- turning the special tool counter-clockwise will lean it out.  Do so
in quarter turns, and until the idle does not change when you budge the
carb piston upwards ever so slightly with a screwdriver, and the air
filter off.

You need to get this straightened out -- fortunately, it's not
difficult.

--
Martin Secrest
73 GT6