Spit still cranky!

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Spit still cranky!
From: toad@nlights.net
Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 15:32:46 -0500
Hello Again,

I've taken the advice from folks on the list (thanks everyone), but my
spit is still backfiring and idling rough.

Again, I just installed a new elec. ignition system after the old one
cooked, replaced coil, wires, plugs, cap and rotor.

I've played around with the timing, and some of the backfiring was
squelched (though its still not right). Driving her to work for the past
two days revealed that the car is still devouring great quantities of
gasoline. I went through half a tank driving not more than 80 miles or
so.

I haven't done much with the carb (Stromberg), because I'm not sure how
to adjust the mixture (the book shows a special adjustment tool but
there must be something more common...it looks like an allen wrench in
the picture???)  Strange, but I can turn the idle adjustment all the way
out and the idle won't drop below 900-1000 rpm, leading me to believe
that an adjustment of the carb may be just what the doctor ordered. But
again, I don't know.

Anyone have some advice????

Will
Delivered from Northern Lights BBS, Everett, WA.