Re: oil pressure TR6

To: Gernot Vonhoegen <gernot.vonhoegen@stir.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: oil pressure TR6
From: Allen Nugent <A.Nugent@unsw.edu.au>
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 12:25:38 +1000 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Gernot,

At 14:02 11/05/98 +0100, you wrote:

>G'day...
>After my lst oil change, I noticed, that the oil pressure gauge needle
>approaches 7kg when running cold. Idle is about 5kg. Now is 7 too high
>and should the (a) pressure relief valve activate? Nothing to say
>against a good oil pressure, but I fear that may be the oil filter is
>getting bypassed or some other horror. May be the wrong filter, I bought
>it at the local Halfrauds, as I didn't want to mail order one. He said,
>the filter is identical with the PI one(mine is a '74 carb), which
>sounds reasonable to me, but must not have been reasonable for Triumph.

I'd like to know who was the bozo who first decided to use units of mass (or
mass over area) to indicate pressure! Anyway, I assume you meant "7 kg per
sq. cm", so I converted to PSI (which is the more familiar unit for
automotive oil pressure), and got 100.

This certainly is high. I've got an uprated relief spring in my oil pump,
and it maxes at 80 PSI. Maybe your relief valve is jamming on something?

Is the filter downstream or upstream of the oil pump, anybody? I think an
overly restrictive filter would cause reduced oil pressure, no matter where
it was. If the filter is downstream, and normally has a high resistance,
then a funny filter with low resistance would yield higher oil pressure.

N.B. I'm relying an analogy with artificial hearts, so I may be overlooking
something more specific to oil pumps.

Allen Nugent
Graduate School of Biomedical Engineering
University of New South Wales
Sydney  2052  Australia