Re: Welding on Gas Tank

To: "Brad Kahler" <Brad.Kahler@141.com>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Welding on Gas Tank
From: tomomalley@hey.net (Tom O'Malley)
Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 02:24:35 GMT
Brad writes...

>I need to weld a nut back onto my gas tank flange that has broken
>off.  The tank is out of the vehicle.  Since I'm going to have the
>gas tank boiled out anyway, should I fill the tank with water before
>I weld the nut onto the flange?  Or is there some other method of
>gauranteeing that there won't be an explosion?  The welding should
>take all of about 5 seconds or so.  Does anyone have any experience
>in this reguard?  I figure better safe than sorry!

Ah!  Here's an opportunity for me to quote the FAQ on the SOL page.
I have a feeling W. Ray Gibbons might have been the author.  :-)

Q. I have a really bad leak from my gas tank.  Is it OK if I get some
plumber's solder and a propane torch and solder up the hole?

A. It's OK with us.  In the interest of preserving your car for future
generations to enjoy, remove the tank first and perform the soldering
operation some distance from the car.  Adios.

Cheers!
Tom O'Malley in Southbridge Massachusetts
'74, '77 Spits