Welding on Gas Tank

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Welding on Gas Tank
From: "Brad Kahler" <Brad.Kahler@141.com>
Date: Sat, 9 May 1998 20:44:16 -0600
I need to weld a nut back onto my gas tank flange that has broken
off.  The tank is out of the vehicle.  Since I'm going to have the
gas tank boiled out anyway, should I fill the tank with water before
I weld the nut onto the flange?  Or is there some other method of
gauranteeing that there won't be an explosion?  The welding should
take all of about 5 seconds or so.  Does anyone have any experience
in this reguard?  I figure better safe than sorry!

TIA

Brad  (In Lincoln Nebraska 402-464-1502)

1964 Spitfire4            BFC25720L (In "Teething" Mode right now)
1966 TR4A                CT72398L (Slowly gathering the needed parts)
1951 Dodge Truck    82217766  B-3-B-108 (Frame is being painted)