Re: V8s ....

To: "Will O'Brien" <hobrien@webos1.com>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: V8s ....
From: Paul Burr <tigerpb@ids.net>
Date: Sat, 9 May 1998 17:56:20 -0400
At 7:24 PM -0400 5/8/98, Will O'Brien wrote:
>I just gotta say this!
>
>I'm building a Spitfire with a ford small block 302, still debating over
>the tranny, and using a Dayna 44 solid axle from a CJ series jeep.  Hehehe.
>
>My ultimate goal:
>Make corvette people hate my guts.
>Allright, so that's just a bonus.
>I get to drive a really fast LBC.  What more could you ask for?
>
>Will
>
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>Will O'Brien
>hobrien@webos1.com
>will@students.missouri.edu
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Will: The killer combo would be a late model Mustang 5 Speed, if you have
room. If not, a Toploader 4 speed from an early Fairlane or Sunbeam Tiger.
If you can locate a Tiger bellshousing, the hydraulic clutch  slave
cylinder set up would mate directly to your Spit clutch master cyclinder.
If not, Mcleod makes a direct acting hydraulic throw out bearing. (See Dan
Master 5.0-TR6 web site!)
 The Dana 44 is more than up to the rear end task. In fact, the Dana 44 was
used in the Tiger as OEM. If you located a complete Tiger rearend, you
could have your Spit's front hubs drilled to the 4 holes on a 4.25" bolt
circle to match the Tigers. As luck would have it, this is also the same
bolt pattern as the current Mustang! A nice set of 16" 5 spoke alloys would
look bitchin' on a Spit!  The threads on the wheel cyclinders match the
brake lines on the Spit, making the pumbling much easier. I never managed
to break anything in those rear ends on my Tigers, despite my best efforts!
Also, I would recommend getting a set off aluminum cyclinder heads for the
engine, you'll drop @ 80 lbs. from the gross engine weight. An alum. 4
barrel intake will also yeild simiar savings. Alum. water pump and pulleys
will nock off a few more pounds. Nice thing about the SB Ford is this stuff
is available at  any speed parts retailer, mail order, swap meets, used,
and a couple of drug stores! Cheap, plentiful, and ready to make more
horsepower with less weight!