Re: Insurance

To: smith007@mindspring.com
Subject: Re: Insurance
From: "Brad Kahler" <Brad.Kahler@141.com>
Date: Sat, 9 May 1998 12:49:00 -0600
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Phil,

Not that I don't agree with you but I'm one of the very lucky few who
actually had the insurance work just like its supposed to.  Strangley
enough this event led me to getting back into LBC's.  I was living in
Denve at the time and was home on mothers day visiting my parents.
On my way back from 18 rounds of golf I was driving through the
neighborhood close to their house.  As I was heading into the
intersection a car on my LEFT came roaring over hill and was into the
intersection before I could react.  Even though I was already into
the intersection when I first saw them I still broadsided them.
Totalled my 84 camaro and totalled the 66 mustang the two 16 year
olds were driving.  Oddly enough the officer at the scene elected to
call it a "no fault" accident even though all of the neighbors who
saw the accident saw I was definitely in the right of way.  Anyway
State Farm totaled my car, paid off the loan and gave me $500 to
boot.  Then after it was all said and done my rates didn't change at
all.  I have as yet never been able to figure that one out.  Guess I
just fell through the crack somewhere.  So after totalling the camaro
I need a car, that led me to a spitfire that I thought I could get
going in a few weeks and then work on it as I drove it.  As it turned
out the Spitfire was almost a total loss like the camaro!!!  But
thats another story......

> >Over the last ten years I figure I have paid out $25,000 for car and
> >house insurance with State Farm.I bumped a workmates Miata the other
> >day, no damage to my car, his fender crumpled up like tissue paper. Got
> >two estimates, one for $362, one for $438. Told the insurance, and they
> >had their estimator look at it.Now, I have had no claims in twenty years
> >on any car,house etc, and they told me if their estimate is under $400
> >it won't go on my record. If its over $400 and I have an accident in the
> >next three years, my premiums will go up 30%. So guess what they
> >appraised the damage at. Yep, $400 and 25CENTS!And they are rated as the
> >best Company in Delaware.Then the local rep's assistant said since I had
> >a $500 deductible I would have to pay anyway, which is totally
> >incorrect, that only would apply to my car.Well, I got that off my
> >chest,. now back to work.
> >Stu
> At the turn of the century, in New York City, and other large cities
> where newly arrived immigrants settled, and opened their small
> businesses, and shops,the local Mafia, then called " The Black Hand
> " would come around to the shop owners weekly and collect insurance
> money.If the immigrant shop owner refused, he was beaten, killed or
> his business/ shop was burned down. In my mind there is no
> difference between this practice and what occurs today? Now it's
> legal, laws have been passed to give respecability to this thievery.
> I don't see any difference between Organized Crime and the Insurance
> Industry and in fact believe they are one and the same.
>
>     Phil Smith
>     69 TR6
>     " More Dreams Than Money "

Brad  (In Lincoln Nebraska 402-464-1502)

1964 Spitfire4            BFC25720L (In "Teething" Mode right now)
1966 TR4A                CT72398L (Slowly gathering the needed parts)
1951 Dodge Truck    82217766  B-3-B-108 (Frame is being painted)