Re: Use of non-Triumph pistons

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Use of non-Triumph pistons
From: DLM Assoc <DLMAssoc@aol.com>
Date: Sat, 9 May 1998 08:03:13 EDT
In a message dated 98-05-08 12:51:34 EDT, rsuggitt@bmts.com writes:

<<  Yesterday while taking my TR3 crank in for machining to the local engine
 rebuilding shop I mentioned to the owner the cost of the 87 mm pistons and
 liners I planned to install  (about $900 Canadian).  He asked me why I
 didn't use a non-Triumph piston instead. (which would be much cheaper !)
  He claims to have installed Ford racing pistons in his own MGB.  The wet
 liners would need boring out and the non-triumph piston's gudgeon pin bush
  would  need machining to match the original connecting rod.  Anyone else
 ever tried this? >>

I almost did, then discovered I had an old set of 87s anyway.  What my
machinist suggested was to use ~1950 Chrysler 6 pistons.  He said they
used to do that a lot back in the "olden days".  The only problem is that
they're .060" over and you're only allowed to go .040" (to 87mm) over in
some venues (SCCA autocross, for instance).

Pricewise, he quoted  $60.00 to bore and hone the original 86mm sleeves,
$168.00 for the Chrysler pistons fitted to TR pins (using existing pins).
Total for pistons, boring, etc... about $250.00 US, including tax.  Let us
know what you do and how it works out.

G'luck...
Don Marshall