Re: TR-6 Fuel Injection

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR-6 Fuel Injection
From: Egil Kvaleberg <egil@kvaleberg.no>
Date: Thu, 7 May 1998 04:41:12 GMT
On 7 May 1998, Malcolm Walker wrote:

> I'm pretty sure that Triumph installed multi-point injection (6 injectors)
> onto their PI units.

Correct.

> With a carb conversion you are going with throttle
> body injection (1 injector in each "carb").  They are similar yet
> different.

The Lucas PI has an inlet area of 95.2 cm2. A set of Stromberg 150 CDs
has 22.8 cm2.

A carb conversion injection would not give you much more inlet area than
the carbs, and you will still be stuck with an inefficient manifold. If
it is performance you are seeking, I can't possibly see how you can gain
very much here.

A set of 3 Weber 40 DCOEs will give 51.3 cm2, and surely give much more
performance for less money. Match it to a suitable camshaft, some head
porting, better compression etc, and you'll have a screamer.

> I'd bet with the new injection you can boost HP by about 30 or so.

For a single (or dual, really) point injection I very much doubt that.
The only real reason that *single* point injection is used on modern cars
is that it allows better control of fuel mixture required for the
3-way catalysts compared to carbs. The performance benefit is negligible.

Egil
--
Email: egil@kvaleberg.no  Voice: +47 22523641, 92022780 Fax: +47 22525899
Snail: Egil Kvaleberg, Husebybakken 14A, 0379 Oslo, Norway