Re: TR-6 Fuel Injection

To: "C. Donald Emery, III" <tr6@mail.icongrp.com>
Subject: Re: TR-6 Fuel Injection
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Wed, 6 May 1998 20:35:47 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

On Wed, 6 May 1998, C. Donald Emery, III wrote:

> Has anyone else seen the add in the new issue of Grass Roots Motorsports re:
> fuel injection for SU and Zenith Stromberg carbed cars?  Called for a
> brochure and was told that they will be in inventory by early June.  They
> are being made by TWM Induction-anyone have any experience with them?

I'm pretty sure that Triumph installed multi-point injection (6 injectors)
onto their PI units.  With a carb conversion you are going with throttle
body injection (1 injector in each "carb").  They are similar yet
different.  I'm expecting that they'll also be electronic, not mechanical,
control.

> This raises a few issues.  I know that the euro-spec TR-6's had fuel
> injection and developed 40-50hp more then the NA carbed versions.  Was the
> fuel injection the only reason for the hp difference or were there other
> differences. (ie a different  camshaft)  Also, did Triumph (BL) reduce the
> strength of the drive train  for the NA carbed versions?

I'd bet with the new injection you can boost HP by about 30 or so.  You
can use a hotter cam with little ill effects because of the fidelity of
the injectors.  That's just a guess tho, I'm not an expert.

-Malcolm