Re: Body Off and Gas from float bowl

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Body Off and Gas from float bowl
From: "Daniel Elder" <Vitesse6@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Wed, 6 May 1998 21:07:08 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Tim,
I faced this same decision on my Sports 6. Here was my strategy.
1) Remove body
2) Repair, sand blast and paint frame
3) Replace body
4) Repair body / floors
5) Again remove body to allow prep and paint of underside of body
6) Replace body
7) Send to body shop without rebuilding suspension
I told the body shop to be careful not to get overspray on the frame but
know that they will get some on it anyway. If I had rebuilt and repainted
the suspension and then they oversprayed on it I would have to totally
disassemble the suspension to clean it up. I elected to postpone the
suspension until after paint was done.
I had an experience with gas spraying out of one of the Strombergs on my
Sports6. I repeatedly disassembled and checked the needle/seat/float to no
avail. Turned out there is a vent in the top of the float chamber which
allows air to go in and out as the fuel level changes. It was blocked with
crud. When fuel came in it would pressurize the chamber before the float had
a chance to shut off the fuel. Result = glass pouring/spraying out of the
carb. Cleaned the vent with a wire and viola... good as new.
Dan