Painting basement/workshop floors

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Painting basement/workshop floors
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 6 May 1998 13:47:03 +0100
> I watched some special on TV about basement water heaters...  it was
amazing to watch footage of the vapors from > nearby fuel cans take off...

I'll drink to that one. In 1980 (on the same day someone tried to wipe out
The Pope) a tenant who was renting our family home decided he wanted to
retile the kitchen floor using new vinyl tiles. He didn't ask permission
and his lease excluded that sort of work. Anyway, having left a tin of
petroleum based floor adhesive fully open, he remembered he needed
something from the shops. Off he went, and while he was away the gas fired
central heating system cut in - about 18" away from his open tin of
adhesive.
The explosion took out the kitchen window, displaced two load bearings
walls and cost about 6000 quid for the insurance company to effect repairs
and redecorate.
In less than a week after the event, with acrow jacks and god knows what
else holding up what remained of MY house, he had the temerity to send me a
letter from his lawyer demanding a rental reduction as "he was not able to
enjoy the use of the property as his lease required." On top of that, his
wife attempted to sue me for damages. She was a nursing mother and still
breast feeding a two year old - which in itself seems a little odd, but
then I'm only a man. Seemingly she was upstairs when things went 'bang',
this made the child jump and I understand it closed its milk teeth firmly
and suddenly about the mother's nipple. She claimed she needed treatment at
the local hospital but declined to specify exactly what it was.
Moral? If you're painting your floor, turn off the gas, open all windows
and doors, and make sure Mother and Baby are not connected

John Macartney
Besotted with Triumphs...
.... but sadly driving Japcrap