Re: Painting basement/workshop floors

To: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Subject: Re: Painting basement/workshop floors
From: fred thomas <vafred@erols.com>
Date: Tue, 05 May 1998 21:47:13 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Trevor Boicey wrote:

> I am moving into a new house in a few weeks, and am looking
> to paint the basement floor to keep dust down and to give
> some kind of sealing.
>
>   What should I use to coat the floor with? As well, how much
> should I buy for about 1000sq/ft?
>
>   It doesn't have to be SUPER oil tight but I expect to be working
> on car parts and other dirties in the workshop, so it would be nice
> if it at least was somewhat stain resistant. I am mostly concerned
> about dust however, the clean concrete seems to kick up a lot.
>
>   Thanks for any insight.
> --
> Trevor Boicey, Ottawa, Canada.
> tboicey@brit.ca, http://www.brit.ca/~tboicey/
> [ Seeking some miscellaneous MG parts, see the list on the web page... ]

Trevor, here in N.Va. we have a cement & foundation speciality store,
when I went in to see them they recommended a two part epoxy that is used
on commercial floors and also a two part clear after the color. It only
comes in a few colors but is just great. Sherwin-Williams paint co. also
sells something on the order of this but is not as strong and takes 7
days for drying. This paint was 44.00 a gal. 4 years ago, seems like a
lot, well if you add what a less quality cheaper do less paint cost and
how soon you will do it over, it cost you less in the long run and you
receive a lot more benefits. Bright gloss and no stains, just wipe it. I
just feel that price should never be mistaken for quality, spend a little
more today in order to save for tomorrow. My .02