Re: TR6 CA emissions requirements

To: JDCampa <JDCampa@aol.com>
Subject: Re: TR6 CA emissions requirements
From: Steve Chandler <chand@primenet.com>
Date: Wed, 06 May 1998 07:30:38 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
As far as I am aware, CA has the same requirements as AZ. You will
need a smog pump, all of the air injection stuff, EGR, and carbon
canisters etc. There were no catalytic converters fitted to 6's. The TR6
was a 50 state car, meaning there were no differences for CA in 76.

The "big three" do have airpumps, but I am not sure about availability
of the carbon canisters.

Is there anything missing on your car ?

My car is registered in AZ, and last year when I was living in Napa, I
had to get it smogged in CA. AZ and CA have some sort of agreement where
I can't get a waiver if I am resident in CA :(  The car passed (barely)
but that is the case in AZ too. The values for CO and HC were the same
in both states.

One difference in CA was that they actually checked the EGR could hold
a vacuum. In AZ, the only do a eyeball test, and check tailpipe
emissions.

Assuming you have all of the parts, it should pass the "eyeball"
inspection, but as far as tailpipe emissions are concerned, then all
of the normal stuff applies (ignition timing, mixture set correctly
etc.).

If the car originally came from Tucson or Phoenix, it would have been
smogged. Did the previous owner have any smog records ???

Hope this helps

steve

--
Steve Chandler - Chandler-O'Bagy Associates stevec@rtd.com