Re: TR4 Speedometer

Subject: Re: TR4 Speedometer
From: "Ed Woods" <fogbros@nb.net>
Date: Wed, 6 May 1998 08:06:53 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Fred and all,

Maybe I didn't make myself clear. I know that "speed is speed", but the fact
remains that there is a significant speedo error after installing o/d.
It appears to me that the only thing that can cause this is a difference in
gearing to the speedo. I cannot find any parts book that indicates the o/d
speedo drive gear is different from the non o/d speedo drive gear. In fact,
other than the materials used to fabricate them, all TR speedo drive gears
that I have lying around have the same number of teeth. And, yes, it's o.k.
to make adjustments to road speed in order to stay out of the hands of the
law, but what about odometer accuracy, as in rallying? There's enough to do
on a rallye without having to constantly adjust the odometer mileage in
anticipation of the next turn instruction.

So, my question remains: is any lister aware of a different speedo gear
ratio for o/d cars?

Ed Woods

P.S. We fitted the "A" type overdrive to the 76 TR6 gearbox using a new
mainshaft purchased from TRF that allowed us to use all the original steel
bushing internals. Why Triumph made this mainshaft for gearboxes that used
the "J" type, I don't know; but it was a nice option since I'm partial to
"A" types.