Re: Horror!!

To: "Dr T. Dafforn" <td214@cus.cam.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: Horror!!
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Tue, 05 May 1998 07:38:05 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Tim,
I know the dilemma well.  I was faced with the same question at that
stage of my own restoration.  While I don't think it is the right thing
in all cases, here's what I did.

I painted the firewall, inside of the cockpit, the dash, the windshield
frame and the front valance myself.  I then reassembled the tub onto the
freshly painted rolling frame (with all drive components installed).  I
then installed the windshield frame and glass, all dash components and
the transmission tunnel cover.

At that point I trailered the car over to the paint shop that did the
remainder of the painting.

If you choose this route, make sure your painter understands all the
work you have done on the frame and takes precautions against overspray
on the frame.

I can't say whether you need to replace the bushings with polyurethane
or rubber, but it is a good idea to replace them while it is easy to do
so.

Regards,
Joe Curry

P.S. My Spit is a Mk1, so if yours is a later style, the windshield
frame is stationery, (so don't try to remove it)  8^)

--

 -- Dave Weinbaum in National Enquirer