Horror!!

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Horror!!
From: "Dr T. Dafforn" <td214@cus.cam.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 10:49:23 +0100 (BST)
Spent 8 hours last weekend spliting the body of my spit from its chassis,
now have the body nicely placed on stands so I can have a good look around
underneath....
And what do I find...
The bottom attachments for the seatbelts, where they bolt through a
strengthener in the rear wheel arch were half rotted out... In fact there
was a nice half circle of rust all 'round the lower part of the
strengthener... god knows what woiuld have happened in an accident...
Anyhow a worth while warning... which has led me to cut out the offending
rust and weld in higher guage strengtheners...
So the question is have yu checked yours recently...?

Also on the 'body off' point, do I have the body sprayed while off and
risk scratchinf it during the tricky process of remating it with the
chassis..
or
Do I put the prepared body back, remove the engine to afford the body shop
good access to the fire wall and send the car to be resprayed like that...
(the bonnet doesn't need spraying!)

And finally while access to the chassis/ dif. is easy do I repace all the
rubber bushes with polyurethane?

                        Cheers again for any help

                                Tim
Spitfire 1500 (in two sections)