Re: 63? Herald 1200 convertible

To: Brad Kahler <Brad.Kahler@141.com>
Subject: Re: 63? Herald 1200 convertible
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 09:26:40 -0400 ()
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
On Mon, 4 May 1998, Brad Kahler wrote:

> Listers,
>
> I've come across a Herald 1200 convertible that is available.  Its
> about 98% complete, does not appear to ever have been in a major
> accident, interior is mostly intact although some panels have rotted
> away

Most interior panels are readily available.

> softtop about 3 years old or so, floor boards would probably
> need replacing, rear lower valence is dented real good and would need
> replacing.

Much of the sheet metal, including footwells and rear valenaces, is also
available.

> I could only find a few signs of bondo in the body.  In
> general the sheet metal is pretty darn straight and there doesn't
> seem to be any major cancer to the body.  The bonnet on the drivers
> side doesn't close properly and the sheet metal is somewhat misshaped

The bonnet might or might not be a major problem. Depends mostly on how
badly the sheet metal is misshapen, if the whole unit is sprung, and/or if
there is damage to the frame where the bonnet pivots. There's lot of
adjustment possible, so it could be a relatively MINOR problem.

The biggest problem with Heralds (much like with later TRs) is chassis
cancer. Check the entire chassis VERY CLOSELY for rust and rot. Most all
of the outriggers, which is to say just about every piece that is attached
to the two main rails, are available. However, to replace just about any
of them properly requires removing the body from the chassis. Something to
keep in mind.

> Engine runs but don't know how well it runs.

The engine will be familiar enough to you, save for that Solex B30 PSE1
carburetor and manifold; it's virtually the same as the Spitfire.

> The comm # is in the 69000 range if I remember right.

In terms of actual date of build, that might put the car somewhere in the
middle part of 1962 but probably late enough to be "titled" a 1963 by the
time it was sold here.

> What would a herald in this condition be worth?  How many were
> imported into the states?

According to figures I've seen, 11,654 Herald 1200 convertibles saw their
way to our shores. As to worth, hard to say without seeing the car more
closely. It could range anywhere from $500-$1500, maybe more.

> My biggest problem with buying it is storage space.  I have two LBC's
> now and a 51 dodge that is currently occupying a good portion of my
> garage.  I suppose worst case I could rent a storage garage. (oh no,
> more money!!)

C'mon, Brad, what's one more car? (Consider the source of this quip,
though: me, Mr. Chock Full o' Heralds!)

--Andy