Re: Tranny install

To: HMENTZEN <HMENTZEN@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Tranny install
From: Edward Hamilton <hamilton@ptd.net>
Date: Sat, 02 May 1998 23:36:37 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Hans,
I did the job (solo) recently.  I did raise the engine slightly to improve the
angle at the rear end.  I used a block of wood and a small hyd. jack at the
crankcase.  Additionally, I supported the bell housing and gearbox with a floor
jack.  I aligned the floor jack with its wheels parallel to the axis of the
gearbox -- so it would roll back and continue to lend support as I removed the
gearbox.  I did experience some frustration in its replacement.  I got it to
within about two inches and it just didn't want to go any further.  With the
tranny in gear, rotating the shaft by hand, I knew that the spline was started
properly -- just wouldn't move forward.  After an hour or so, I took a break,
sat
back and reflected on the problem.  My floor jack (supporting the gearbox) was a
little high, lowered it about an inch and it slid right in.  If your within an
inch of the bell housing marrying up with the engine, I would suggest that its
merely a matter of proper alignment -- assuming you do have the gearbox
supported
and have not allowed it to hang by its shaft.

Good luck,
Ed Hamilton